Thursday, 3 August 2017

Plastic Spanner

New spanners seem to be included in all new sets 
Today I have been building the latest robotic creation in the TECH range, M.A.X. I will write a full review once I have worked out how he (it?) works. I was somewhat surprised to find it has a new spanner included that, on further investigation, has been rolled out in all the latest new releases.
It's plastic!
My first thought was one of horror. A plastic spanner, what good is that? A few minutes contemplation, a closer look and I realised it was the nut-placing end that is plastic. Well, and I didn't think I would be saying this, it seems pretty good, no, it is pretty good. The nut placer spanner of the pre-Spin Master era was a welcome new addition to the sets, but it was always a bit hit and miss. The redesigned spanner that Spin Master came up with a couple of years ago, was better on the nut placing end but there were a few complaints about it being 'soft' and not very nice to hold. Personally, I did not have a problem with it. This new spanner is even better. It is easy to hold and the nut-placer holds the nuts, even at odd angles, very well.

So far the new spanner seems to have been received well, even by some of the most critical enthusiasts. It is good to see the design guys are constantly trying to improve the product.

I used it for three hours this morning and it did everything I asked of it. I also realised that they can be extended. I am sure there will be a lot of other uses for the hole and slot, spaced at a convenient ½ inch spacing...

The sunken hole and the nut-placer are at ½ inch centres - Handy!
  

Ralph.   

1 comment:

  1. Trying to improve something that really, there was not much wrong with in the first place is a hard thing to do. So far I can say that the new spanner is easier to get hold of/keep hold of, but it's early days yet.

    ReplyDelete